Skip To Top Navigation Skip To Content Skip To Footer

International Current Student

International Student Services

  • Immigration and visa assistance
  • Filing taxes
  • On-Campus Student Employment Opportunities
  • Health insurance
    • All international students at MSSU are enrolled to have health insurance via LewerMark Student Health Insurance
    • Exceptions include students who are in ISEP or SACM as such programs provide insurance coverage
    • Students may access their health insurance card by visiting LewerMark Student Health Insurance. From this page, students should select “Print Your ID Card.” The Student ID number on this page is the student’s ID number S00…; however, students must submit the S with a 0. The password should be the password the international student has already set, unless it is the first time using the website. In that case, the password is the student’s birthday in the format mmddyyyy.
    • For specific questions about LewerMark student health insurance, students should contact 1-800-821-7710. If students have questions about their bill, they should contact the Bursar Office at, 417-625-9381, or visit its staff in Hearnes Hall 105.
  • Transfer Out Form
  • Enrollment
    • Degree seeking students should enroll with their respective academic advisor 
    • If international students have taken the Michigan English Test during international orientation, they should enroll with Aaron Carmichael, Director of the Intensive English Program. Aaron Carmichael may be contacted via, 417-625-9573, or in-person in Webster Hall 343. 
    • If international students are exchange or visiting students and were not required to take the Michigan English Test during international orientation, they should enroll with Dr. Chad Stebbins, Director of the Institute of International Studies. Dr. Stebbins may be contacted via, 417-625-9736, or in-person in Webster Hall 337. 
    • Here is a link of classes available for the upcoming semester  
    • Immigration regulations require international students to enroll in at least 12 credit hours, 9 of which must be face-to-face credit hours (as opposed to online only)
  • Common letters international students request from International Student Services Coordinator
    • Obtaining a driver’s license
      Provide address to DMV:
      Joplin License Office
      1110 E 7th St #6, Joplin, MO 64801
    • Getting a social security number
      Provide address to social security office:
      Social Security Administration
      4102 S Arizona Ave, Joplin, MO 64804
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
    • CPT should be used to meet academic requirements. CPT is academic in nature; it is not to be used for any other reason and directly relates to your major of study.
    • Each semester international students must meet with the International Student Services Coordinator once they’ve enrolled in their internship class to receive their update I-20.
    • Internship dates should align with each academic semester of your internship course.
    • CPT is an opportunity that allows international students to work either on- or off-campus to complete an academic related course such as an internship or practicum that helps them progress towards the completion of their degree.
    • Attached is the CPT application that must be completed by the student’s academic advisor. 
    • CPT may be paid or unpaid, depending on your academic department and your career field.
    •  If CPT is paid, International students are not allowed to work until they have an official job offer notice and receive their social security card. 
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
    • International students must meet with the International Student Services Coordinator when they want to apply for OPT
    • OPT is an opportunity that allows international students to extend their stay in the United States for an additional year (or up to three years for students in a STEM degree program)
    • OPT is an opportunity that allows international students to work either on- or off-campus after their graduation in a field directly related to the degree they earned
    • International students may apply for OPT within 90 days prior to their graduation or up to 60 days after their graduation
    • International students approved for OPT are not allowed to work until they receive their Employment Authorization Document card and social security card
  • OPT Application (Form I-765)
  • Items international students need when they are ready to submit their OPT application:
    • Passport
    • Visa
    • Passport photographs – 2 of them (must be 2 inches by 2 inches in size); can get a Walgreen’s
    • I-20
    • I-94
    • Check or money order for $410 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (do NOT use initials USDHS or DHS)
  • OPT Application and supporting documents will be mailed to the following address via USPS:
    • USCIS Chicago Lockbox
      Attn: I-765 CO3
      P.O. Box 805373
      Chicago, IL 60680-5374
  • After OPT Application is approved and international student has accepted a job offer, they must report the following information to the International Student Services Coordinator:
    • Official Job Offer 
    • Employer Name
    • Employer EIN (Employer Identification Number)
    • Job Title
    • Start Date
    • End Date
    • Full time/Part time
    • Address
    • Supervisor’s Name
    • Telephone Number
    • Email Address
    • Job Description (must show proof job description relates to degree earned)
  • STEM OPT Extension Request
    • International students who graduated with a STEM related degree are allowed to request for their OPT to be extended up to an additional two years
  • Forms and documents required to submit a STEM OPT Extension Request: 
    • Form I-983
      Completed and signed by the student and their employer
    • Form I-983 Instructions
      SEVIS School Code for MSSU is KAN214F00359000
      Designed School Official (DSO) is Stephanie Goad, Senior Coordinator of International Recruitment and Admissions, 417-625-9372,
    • Form G-1145
    • Form I-765
    • Form I-765 Instructions
      Item #27: use code (c)(3)(C) for OPT STEM extension 
    • Filing Fee Payment of $410
      Option 1: personal check or money order, payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
      Option 2: credit card payment Form G-1450
    • Form G-1450 Instructions
    • USCIS Guidelines for Paying Fees
    • Two (2) Photographs
      2 inches by 2 inches in size (you can purchase these at Walgreen’s)
      Write full name and USCIS # (on EAD) on the back of each photograph
    • Copies of each of the following
      F-1 visa stamp
      Passport personal information page(s) and passport validity page showing expiration date
      Previous Employment Authorization Documents (EADs), front and back
      All previously issued Forms I-20 (including newest I-20 recommending STEM OPT)
      Copy of the diploma or an official transcript showing the degree completed
  • Employment Offer or Verification Letter
  • STEM OPT Application and supporting documents will be mailed to the following address via USPS:
    Attn: I-765 C03
    P.O. Box 805373
    Chicago, IL 60680-5374
  • STEM OPT reporting requirements from the student, the employer, and the Designated School Official