You are one step closer to studying here in the U.S.! We are excited to welcome you to our country and our campus. In order to best prepare for your arrival to MSSU, we have compiled the following checklists for you to get fully set-up.
- Complete your confirmation of attendance
- Check your admission letter for any additional items needed by the University, such as official transcripts.
- Check with the Wilcoxon Health Center regarding required immunizations.
- Please make sure your degree program and start term are correct.
- If you have questions about your admission letter, please contact the International Admissions Office at email@example.com
- Finalize getting your Student Visa.
- Book your flights (try to plan to arrive at the Joplin Regional Airport).
- Prepare all your documents from travel. (passport, letter of acceptance from MSSU, bank details, information for return ticket, etc.)
- Convert your currency to USD before you arrive at the Joplin Airport.
- Decide if you will purchase an international phone plan or buy a phone plan here.
- Gather everything you need for dorm life.
- Clothes that will suit the midwestern Joplin climate
- At least one pair of good walking shoes
- Electronic devices
- List of emergency phone numbers for home and MSSU.
- Start a file of personal copies of important college documents, including your letter of acceptance, financial aid forms, housing application and contract (if applicable), immunization certification, and other MSSU correspondence.
- Accept whatever grants, loans, and scholarships you will need to pay for our tuition from programs in your home country, if applicable.
Transport from the Airport
Please fill out the airport pickup form to be picked up at the Joplin Regional Airport and brought to campus. You will need to have your arrival information available, including arrival date, time and flight number.
Upon arrival to Missouri Southern State University, all international students are required to attend International Student Orientation. Be sure to bring all of your immigration documents, including passport with visa stamp, I-94 card and I-20 or DS-2019.
Orientation takes place the week before classes begin. During orientation week students will do the following:
- Enroll in classes
- Remember to sign up for at least 12 hours to maintain visa status
- Familiarize yourself with campus and map out classes
- Get a copy of your class schedule from your advisor or on Lionet
- Get your student ID from Card Services
- Use your class booklist to get the required texts from the bookstore
- Purchase books on the second floor of Billingsly Student Center, located by the Rec Center
- Rental textbooks are downstairs by Card Services
- Complete your Certificate of Immunization and supporting documentation
- Update your address and telephone number
- Local address – this is for your immigration record and must be a US address
- Telephone number – you will need to provide a US telephone number
- Check with our Financial Aid Office to see if you qualify for any of our student scholarships
*** Memorize your student ID number and 12-digit PIN. You will use this often! ***